Translate

Happy Valentines Day

Happy Valentines Day to Everyone. To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of Valentines day. No it isn't because I didn't get my fair share as a child, it just seems kind of silly. I loved it as a kid. I loved making my box for school, choosing Valentines to give to friends, and then getting lots of little treats at school. However, after growing up, and becoming a parent I've decided I'm not much of a fan. Don't get me wrong, Tim and I say I love you, and wish each other a happy day, but we don't go out of our way to get gifts of love. Mostly because (at least to me, and I'm pretty sure he agrees) it means so much more when we get a sweet gift because we wanted to give it, not because we felt we had to because of the date on the calendar. Plus everything is so overpriced, and just frilly and silly to me. I do remember one Valentines day, after giving my sweetie his card, he gave me a CD. He'd put together a mix of songs that remind him of me. It was so sweet, and I listened to it yesterday. Man, I think I got that 6 years ago! Anyway, just because I'm not a fan of overpriced roses, and silly gifts with bears and hearts on them, doesn't mean I don't want my kids to have fun. I plan to make Valentines a fun day for them, at least until they don't need me to anymore! The kids each got to make Valentines for their school. Rylissa of course had princesses, and Corben was all spiderman. I picked up the mini boxes of Nerds so they could have a little treat with their card. I still remember my valentines used to be an envelope with a card, and maybe five candy hearts in it. So imagine my surprise when they came home with valentines attached to baggies FILLED with candy! I'm shocked. Really? Do they really need so much CANDY? Can't a lollipop, or small box of nerds be enough? I guess maybe I am the Grinch of Valentines! I'm not exactly sure what Rylissa's class did, though I received an email later that day with her class singing a song. I'm trying to figure out if I can somehow upload it here, but I haven't been able to yet. It was really cute though! Corben's class had an ice cream party. We made a bunch of sugar cookies, and shared them with the kindergarten classes. I forgot the camera (of course) but all the kids ran around the playground having fun.
Here's the kids enjoying the Valentines gift we got them, a Pez dispenser, and an M&M's heart, with a bag of M&M's inside. Not much, I know, but again, how much candy do they really need? They thought it was cool, and maybe next year I'll be more creative. Hopefully next year Tim will be here to enjoy the day with us! However, he is spending his Valentines day with his parents, and really I can't think of a better way for him to spend it, since he hasn't seen them since before Tayzia was born! Happy Valentines Day to everyone, (Tim I hope you're having fun!)

2 comments:

Totally Tumlin said...

Not that big of a fan either! All though I do try to make it fun for the kids as well, with the pink heart shaped pancakes with sprinkles and a special little something by their breakfast plate. I am totally with you on the valentines at school. All I send in is a card with a small pack of skittles attached and for the teachers a box of chocolates and some lotion or a candle, only because teacher appreciation week runs the same week as valentines so I can combine a little something for them. Anyway, I hope you all are doing well! Love ya!

Parkes Family said...

Ditto to that! I agree with you 100% about Valentine's Day.