Translate

An Adventure

So, on Saturday we went for a little adventure.  We tracked down a farm that was about 20 miles away to go to the free corn maze.  Anything is worth trying if it's free!



We followed our friends the Rasmussens, and then ran around and played with them for an hour or so.


Davin was really excited for the Amazing Maize Maze  (I'm pretty sure they misspelled the sign)


It was really easy to get through, perfect for Tayzia and Davin sized kids.  The big kiddos ran through it over and over again pretending to be air benders (Avatar cartoon character).




After the maze, we went to an area called the labyrinth.  It was really  a bunch of stones in a circular pattern.  My kids jumped from one to another to another, falling on their bums, getting back up, and doing it all over again.



 Then it was time for some coloring.  They had these awesome books filled with information about the farm, corn, and all sorts of other things that were free for the kids to take and color.  They even set up picnic tables for them to use.


There was the corn box.......

(please ignore the drunken Davin look, he was blinking, and this was the only shot I got, the kids were not thrilled to be having a picture taken.)

and hay bale jumping.









After all this fun, it was time to go home and prepare our picnic dinner for our evening excursion (meaning we were going to drive to Subway and buy dinner).


I dropped off Davin, and my friend Machelle dropped off her youngest, and the remaining six kids and two adults piled into our van and took off on the 45 or so minute drive to Fremont Peak.  That is where we drove up a super high, super windy road.  Don't look down......   We went with the local Scout pack (not our church one) up to the Fremont observatory so we could look at the stars.


I was able to get a shot of the sunset.  It doesn't look like we're high, but that's just cause the fog was rolling in, and it was really high too.  In fact the fog kind of ruined the evening.  We weren't able to pull out the big telescope, and so we didn't get to see some of what we were hoping to see that night, like Jupiter.  We were also hoping to get a glimpse of the Orionid meteor shower.  We saw a meteor earlier in the week shoot through the sky, and it was huge!  The kids really wanted to see the shower, and Saturday night was supposed to be the best night to see it.  The problem was, Orion wasn't even going to come into view until after 11p.m.  It was so cold up on the mountain, and the kids were pretty ornery about it.  We ended up getting home roughly around 10.  I tried to go out and look after midnight, but I wasn't able to see anything at all which really bummed me out.  So I went to bed, and was startled by a 5.3 magnitude earthquake!  It rumbled for I swear about 30 seconds.  I'm guessing it was shorter than that, but it was small, and mellow, and just rumbled and rumbled and rumbled, then stopped.  I hate earthquakes, so I was up for a while waiting for aftershocks, which thankfully I didn't feel, so I was finally able to sleep.  Quite an adventurous day I'd say!

No comments: