Translate

SST






A few months ago, the school set up an SST meeting for Corben.  Basically it's a team of people from the school, that get together with me, and discuss the issues that are happening, and we work on a plan to try and fix the issues so that Corben can have a positive and successful time in school.  

So we all sat down, made a list of things that we would like to have done, at home, and at school, and then planned to re-visit the list in a little over a month and see how things are going.  About two weeks ago I had a parent teacher conference with Corbens teacher and was delighted to hear that she finds him much more agreeable in class.  She now has him sitting with other kids, instead of on his own, and no longer has to give him prompts to help him keep track of his work that needs to be focused on.  She says she finds that he can focus more, and thinks things through.  He also no long has to go to his time out corner, and no longer refuses to work during the school day.  However, with all of this good report, I'm still a little concerned, because his test scores and grades aren't improving.  They are exactly the same.  Because of this they recently tested him to be a part of the Gateway program at the school.  I think it's a fancy word for resource program.  They figured that he was a perfect candidate to be in the program to help his scores improve.  When they gave him the test, they were pleasantly surprised when he aced it.  In fact, he got a 100% on it.  We've known for a long time that he was very smart, but his mind wasn't focusing long enough to help him out in class.  

So today was our follow up meeting, and all reports were excellent.  I'm so happy to hear that he's doing quite a bit better than he was.  I did mention that I  was concerned about his testing scores, so we're now going to try and see if he can concentrate better in a more secluded testing area.  I want him to do well, and I'm very happy to hear that all of our work in therapy, and at home have been paying off in the classroom.  I'm so proud of what he's accomplished in the past several months.  He's a smart, and sweet kid, and after all the trials we've been through, we're starting to see his happiness come back.

2 comments:

MaryAnn said...

This makes me happy. :)

Aubrey said...

There are SO many factors for kids to be successful in a classroom! I'm glad to hear you are so proactive and that Corben is improving. Golly, that's gotta be hard though as a parent to try to figure out what is going on.

Looks like you've been up to a lot! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you... my email is theholmgrens at hotmail dot com. Talk soon!