Translate

Teaching/Training..... Same Diff......

I recently bought a book on my Kindle.... I LOVE IT! It's a parenting book. I'm not much of a fan of books that are "self help" because, first they usually bore me to tears, or second, the ideas in the books seem kind of ludicrous to me. Anyway, with all the struggles we've been having with the kids and their attitudes toward pretty much everything, I broke down and started searching for books. I did buy one, while at Time Out for Women, and I read it in one sitting, and haven't done a thing with it. Everything suggested in the book was stuff I was already trying to do, without success. I was randomly surfing Amazon for something to read when I came across this beauty..... Seriously, the picture on the cover was enough for me to want to buy it! Not only that, the reviews it got were pretty good. When they say "should be handed out as a parenting manual at the hospital...." I think I need to read it. Read it I am (not quite finished yet) and oh my goodness! The first idea of the book is to have a plan. Of course we all have a plan, we want our kids to survive until they can move out right? This talks about making a plan for what you want your kids to be... (good mother, father, able to hold a job, eagle scout, etc. etc. etc.) then gives you ideas on how to start training your children so that when they move out at 18, they have all the skills necessary to not only live on their own, manage their own money, hold down a job, and basically be an all around wonderful adult! Some of the ideas seemed a bit shocking, such as discussing money with them..... and savings... at the age of 5! However after reading through those chapters, I'm convinced that I need to start doing it NOW! One of my favorite suggestions, was teaching your kids about debt.... by giving them a loan to buy something they really really want, then charge them something like 100% interest, so that when the day comes that a credit card offer arrives in the mail, they hate the idea so badly, that they avoid debt! Genius! There were some great things on how to work with your kids at an early age to prepare them for the challenges ahead. It was such a good book, and I seriously think EVERYONE should read it. I'm already starting my plan for what I want my kids to learn to do over the summer. (seriously, this lady had her 3 year old trained to make his own sandwiches, by himself, and started teaching budgeting to them when they were 5!) I really loved her views on everything. It also talks about patience. How you need to teach your child over 8 times on a single thing, before it really starts to stick. You can't just show them how to make the bed once, and expect perfection. I spent the day yesterday teaching Tayzia how to fold clothes. She had so much fun! It was a little slower than usual, but I didn't have to fold nearly as much! I even got both Rylissa and Corben to clean an entire bathroom.... EACH! HA! I can't wait to see how this helps! It's going to be a lot of work on my part, but I'm pretty sure in the end, it will be worth it! Oh, she also wrote a book called "Strangling Your Husband is Not an Option.." Yeah, so buying that book next!

Merilee Boyack is the author, in case you're interested! Happy Reading!





No comments: