Translate

Getting my Craft On!

So, I've been having a grand old time all over blog land reading craft blogs,and getting ideas. The ideas are rolling around inside my brain and driving me so nuts, that I actually had to write them all down in a notebook (thank you Sarah) so that I'd remember them all! I decided I'm going to start decorating my home on the cheap.... basically with do it yourself stuff. Not that I couldn't go buy something, but because then I feel like I really truly "made" my house a home. Does that make any sense, or am I just nuts?????

So I'm sure you've all seen these at the store, the chep-o towel, mug and banana holders? Well, I got them, and after moving here completely changed the color scheme of my kitchen. I've decided to go with Red, white and black. So ugly natural wood doesn't go with it. I am sure I could have just gone out and bought new ones, but why? These were perfectly good, I just needed to change them a bit. So I bought some sand paper (really high grit, just to smooth it all out) some Satin Black Krylon spray paint and got to work. Here are my end results, and I really really love them.
I had some really awesome black and white wrapping paper, so I modge podged it on my mug holder.

Same thing with my paper towel holder. They fit so nicely with my kitchen now. I love the way they turned out. I clearly need practice with spray paint though, it took almost an entire can to get all these covered...... I should probably be a bit more patient, but they look nice, and that's all that matters right? Now I'm finishing my cross stitch, should be done in a little over a week, and making a paper valentines wreath. If it turns out, I'll post it!

5 comments:

Heather said...

Ohh those turned out so cute. I love the wrapping paper you used! You will have to post a picture when you get your kitchen all together!

Christina said...

Great job! I love how they turned out. I always love to look at a DIY job! :) My favorite thing to do. I love to catch up with your family! :)

Sami said...

Is that really wrapping paper?! That turned out AWESOME! I'm so bad at doing the "trash to treasure" thing. I think I waste a LOT of money because of it. Maybe I can take your example...

Sarahie said...

I love them! And, I totally get the "making" your own home thing. I feel the same way. (I'm glad the notebook is serving you well!)

Jay and Kara Barney said...

So cute! I was just talking to Heather F. the other day about painting my natural wood stuff in my kitchen. Now you've inspired me to do it.