Translate

Earthquake

At 5:30 Saturday morning, we were awakened by some nice shaking! Tim and I sat up, looked at each other, and said... "earthquake". We sat for a little bit deciding what to do, but then it started to really shake, I mean intense! We jumped up, grabbed the kiddos and ran under the nearest door frames. It stopped shaking shortly after we got there. We stood there for another minute or two, to make sure it was over. Corben went back to bed, Tayzia took a little longer, and Rylissa was a bit freaked out and ended up on the couch for the rest of the morning. We immediately went to the USGS website, and after about 10 minutes found our earthquake. Different sites recorded different magnitudes, but it was between 6.9 and 7.3. Luckily for us, we live in some really great homes. I'm still amazed at how sturdy these homes, which I know are quite old, are. I mean in '07 we went through a category 5 typhoon, nicknamed the "super phoon" without losing power.... To give you an idea, it was the same strength as hurricane Katrina. Granted, this earthquake was out in the ocean, about 50 miles from here, but still, the only thing that happened besides giving us a major adrenaline rush, was a picture was moved slightly askew on the wall, and a cupboard door opened. In the grand scheme of things, this could have been MUCH worse. .
After the major quake in Haiti, and now the quake in Chile, I am feeling very humbled, blessed, lucky, and a little guilty. I feel so bad for the poor people, who are not lucky enough to have such sturdy homes. I feel guilty for the fact that it was kind of "fun" to have those previous experiences, when others who've had the same have died, or suffered devastating losses. I feel blessed that I'm able to be in a place that is so safe, and that I've been able to experience so much. I'm humbled by the power of Mother Nature. As we sat last night thinking about the possibility of a tsunami coming our way after Chile's quake, we realized it truly is coming closer to the Second Coming. I'm so blessed to be a member of the church. That I don't need to be afraid. As long as I do my best, try my hardest to live the gospel, follow Christ, that no matter what happens here on Earth, we will be okay. As I say this I'm trying to find out if the 10 foot tsunami actually hit us. Just after getting home from church today, I discovered parts of the island were being evacuated. It seems it really wasn't much at all, which again, makes me feel so blessed...... things could have been worse.

3 comments:

Jay and Kara Barney said...

This was a great post. I totally agree.

Aubrey said...

Wow that must have been a very out-of-body experience, really, something you can't really imagine. Glad you are all safe and okay!

Rindy said...

I'm glad you are ok. It would have freaked me out. I have been thinking about all the earthquakes in "diverse places" myself and I agree with what you said about the church and the times we live in.