Translate

One day at a Time

It's been a rough week. I thought once I had two of the kids in school, things would be a little easier, more relaxed. Maybe it will be, but for now, it's much the opposite. Corben isn't doing so well. He's always been the hesitant kid, from the time he started going to nursery. He's the kid that cried every time I left. He's the boy that wouldn't go to Sunbeams. It took a good amount of time for him to feel comfortable. He's the kid that still had a difficult time at church, until about 6 months ago. Now he does pretty good. He's also the kid that I had to pull out of the Japanese preschool early, because it was too much. Too many tears, and hard mornings. I was really worried about Kindergarten, and that first week was rough on him, but he got through it. He never seemed to have a problem with school. He enjoyed going, and would tell me about what he did. He did have some problems here and there, but nothing that the teacher, or I felt we couldn't handle. That's why I was so surprised when he went completely down hill this week. It isn't so simple either, it wasn't just a case of bad behavior, or being disruptive, it was a complete shut down. In fact his behavior itself was fine, he wasn't disruptive at all, he wasn't anything. He has been spending his days sitting in a corner of the room, refusing to do anything. He won't participate in class, he won't do anything at all. Those days are mixed in with days when he does do things, but the bad days are more often than the good. It's only been two weeks of school, and I've already had a parent teacher conference. He's so smart, his teacher even agrees he's so smart, and when he does try, he usually succeeds, however he's not trying. At the moment, we're observing, and in another week or two, we're going to bring in the school counselor. I'm hoping that it's something that is stemming from the fact that we've had so many big changes in such a short time. Meanwhile, I'm trying very hard to take it one day at a time. It isn't easy, watching his reactions when I leave him at school, and hearing about his troubles when I pick him up, tear at my heart so bad. I've been reduced to tears myself after some of our meetings, because it terrifies me that I don't know what's wrong, or how I can help. Corben has always been a very stubborn boy. He's the WORST eater in the world, and I swear no one believes me when I say it, but he has the willpower of stone. This is a kid that cannot be forced. So when he has a bad morning at school, it's all over, he will not be pushed, forced, or coerced into anything. His teacher was even a little shocked at how strong his will is.

On a happier note, Rylissa had a great week at school. I think she really enjoys being away, and in an environment where she can have fun, but learn as well. She comes home and does her homework (yes, she has at least 2 worksheets of homework EVERY day!) and then begs to read to me! I think Tayzia is enjoying all the one on one time she's been getting with me too.

No comments: