Translate

Spouses Dining In 2017

With the movers coming, and not having our stuff, I wasn't actually planning to attend the spouses dining in this year.  However, one of the spouses contacted me, and told me we'd had so much fun last year, she really hoped I'd join her table again this year.  It was super sweet, and so I said sure thing.  I'm so glad I did.  The overall theme of the night was Music, and our table decided to be the "evolution of music"  We had several meetings where it was decided that this topic is super broad.  We figured it all out though.  

I was in charge of making the centerpiece for the table, and a couple of the decorations. I also offered to help with the dessert.


We decided to take the evolution picture with the monkeys and make them music based.... then we found out it had already been done, so we found that picture, and I made these silhouettes out of spare plywood.  These were going to go down the center of our table.  We figured this would be enough for people to "get" that we're evolution.

I also put together these cassette tape luminaries for the table.  We put electric tealights in them.





Originally I was going to get together with our dessert maker, and we were going to work together on the cake.  However her schedule, and mine didn't work, so instead she assigned me the task of fondant decorations, and she would make and cover the cake, and do the cupcakes.  I think she had the harder task.  I spent an afternoon crafting music items from different decades.




We met Friday night to put the table together.  Our monkeys in the center, record place mats, CD case place settings, CD stands for the jello shots someone was bringing.  We had a disco ball light (it messed up the pictures when we had it on, so we turned it off for those).  We had a bubble maker, but was told we weren't allowed to use it.... (bummer).  The glow sticks were awful at glowing, but they looked cool.  I thought our table was pretty awesome.






A few gals put together a photobooth for our 3X3 in the hallway.  Complete with fun props from the eras.



On the day of the event, we set up our dessert.  It turned out spectacularly!


Each of the ladies in the group chose a musical artist from a different decade.  We had 60s on up.  We had originally wanted to start in the 20s, but found too many artists spanned many decades, and the earlier we went the harder it was to find someone recognizable.  So we started a little bit later.  We had Janis Joplin, Cher, Cyndi Lauper, Michael Jackson, Brittany Spears, Katy Perry, Tina Turner, Miranda Lambert, Pink, Faith Hill, Carrie Underwood, Madonna, Gene Simmons, Dolly Parton,  and Avril Lavigne.  I chose to be Pink.  It was difficult to come up with a costume because Pink is a little risque with her outfits!  I finally found a costume in her Just like Fire video.  Here is her costume, and then mine.



I figured if I pulled out the Mohawk, sprayed it pink, I'd be obvious.  I wasn't.  I eventually carried a picture of her in the outfit around so people would figure out who I was.  Oh well, it was awesome.





The whole table


Gene Simmons, Cydi Lauper, and Pink.


We also put together a skit.  We had someone coreograph a dance to snippets of music from several of the different artists.  We then pulled a surprise, and had Michael Jackson breathe fire at the end.  It was AWESOME!!!  We had a lot of complements on our skit.

In the end our skit didn't win the prize of best skit, but our dessert did!



The cake baker, and me!


 There wasn't a prize for the best costume of the night, only the best group costumes.  However, they did recognize that our Gene Simmons, was the most fantastic costume of the evening.  I don't think anyone would disagree that she was the absolute best!


All in all, it was a fun filled evening.  Lots of laughter, and several trips to the grog bowl... (although our table was never singled out, or sent to the grog, we chose to go up anytime any other maintenance spouses were called up... solidarity!)  I'm sure going to miss this group of awesome ladies.  I'm not sure if our next base does things like this, since they are a training base.  This may have been my last spouses dining in... ever.  I'm glad it was so awesome.


.

No comments: