Translate

January

I didn't quite realize just how busy I was going to become after we moved here.  I sat down and noticed that it has been 4 months since the new year, and I haven't added anything to the blog from when we got to Alaska, except maybe a small snippet that we got here.  I haven't updated anyone on our life, or activities, and on top of that, I've hardly taken any pictures at all!  After we moved here, I discovered this wonderful world of volunteering, and organizations and I jumped in, feet first to many of them.  I haven't looked back!

First off, is OSC (Officers Spouses Club)    One month it was the MXG spouses (Maintenance Group) turn to come up with, and host an activity.  It was just after Tim had left on a TDY to Okinawa, and I'd completely forgotten about it.  Thankfully the other squadron in Maintenance was on the ball, and she organized us all.  I went and helped her cook, and set up for our Wine night.  (It wasn't all alcohol, and even though I couldn't tell you anything about wine, I still had fun trying the different foods we made)  Originally, I joined as a member, and just went to the different activities that happened each month. Eventually, I ended up filling one of the board member spots, so now I'm also on the board of the OSC.





Our awesome Maintenance leadership spouses Meghan (AMXS) me (MXS) and Janet (MXG).  It was an awesome night, the food was great, and It was just a ton of fun.


Next up is our squadron spouses.  We don't really have a group, but I'm trying to fix that.  When we got her there was nothing.  No spouses contact info, no group, zip, zilch, nadda.  So I've been slowly gathering contact info, and trying to put together fun events to help get our group going.  It's slow, but I'm trying.  Anyway, in January I hosted a night of chocolate at home.  It was so much fun putting together, and we had a great time.






At the start of the school year, I discovered that there was no PTO at all for the Jr. High.  I mean, there was, but all the ladies that were part of it either moved, or quit, so they were desperate for a new board.  Long story short, I became the VP of the Jr. High/High School PTO board, and eventually put together a fundraiser.  Every other Friday I show up at the Jr High, and make popcorn that we sell at lunch time.  I make a LOT of popcorn each month, and we've raise a small chunk of change that we turn around and award to the students as prizes for contests, such as spelling bees, and essays.  Believe it or not, we don't have a large amount of parental volunteers in the schools,  so I also occasionally help with the popcorn Friday at Rylissa's school as well.


On my way back from one of the various things I do during the day, I was rounding a corner, and saw another car coming toward me, going way too fast for the conditions.  Sure enough, he lost control of his car, and after some serious swerving on my part, we both ended up in the ditch, at the side of the road.  I don't know about him, but my heart was racing quite a bit, but thankfully the snow bank kept us from hitting, and there was absolutely no damage.  Had I not swerved though, it would have been head on, so I'm glad for split second reactions.


Rylissa started taking violin lessons.  We snagged this puppy at a garage sale for $20!  After having it restrung, getting a small crack in it's base fixed, and adding a shoulder and chin rest on it, we're into this baby $100.  She LOVES it.  We broke down and put her in lessons, which wouldn't normally be an issue, but the teacher here is expensive, and she's professional, playing in the symphony in Fairbanks, so she's that good.  Lissa loves it, I think she's improving by leaps and bounds every week. I love that she loves music as much as I do.


I found a new project that I'm excited to get going.  I just have to, you know, get going on it.  Making moose planters for the summer time!  It's not too hard, just a little time consuming.



No comments: