Translate

Summers End

Our Summer started off with good intentions.  I was going to get the kids reading, bowling, picking berries, out exploring, and on play dates with friends.  It was going to be an awesome summer.  We started off well.  We signed up for the reading program at the library, got our free daily bowling cards, and we did get some berry picking in.  We even managed to mix a couple play dates in.  Shortly after some fun play dates, Rylissa's second very best friend from the ward moved away.  It was the second time in just a few weeks where we had to watch her cry at church, because she had to say goodbye.  The good thing, she was able to become closer to another girl in her class, and they've been practically inseparable since then.

I caught the two oldest actually being friends!

I made one for Corben's room too!


Shortly after the above, I had my little accident and the entire summer changed.





After I was upgraded to a walking boot and crutches, some ladies from the ward coordinated an outing to a play arena called Yabadoo.  They were so kind, and switched up their families so they could come and get me, and the kids, so we could join in the fun.  A place like this wouldn't exist in the states.  There are absolutely  NO safety precautions.  So of course, the kids had a blast!  We probably won't go back though, it wasn't quite our cup of tea.  It was great for the kids to get out and play though.


I went to my physical therapy appointment where I learned that my ankle is trashed and completely unstable. I was told that physical therapy could do nothing for me, and if I want to be active again, my only option is surgery.  So I made an appointment with the Orthopedic people again.  The doc there said the same thing, but then added that people who have frequent sprains, like myself, tend to also have cartilage damage.  So before they schedule the tightening surgery, they need to make sure my cartilage is okay, or they will have to do something called a microfracture during the surgery.  Basically they drill small holes into the bone, make it bleed, and the blood will eventually clot and make a sort of pseudo cartilage.  Even if I don't have cartilage problems, the recovery from the surgery will be at least 6 weeks on crutches.... sigh.  It will be worth it though, in the end.  So the day after that appointment I found myself hanging out in an MRI machine, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Since it was at a German hospital (where they call it MRT) I don't have the results, and won't have them until my next appointment in two weeks.  Hopefully the cartilage is fine, and I can schedule the surgery.  Fun times!


We bought the kids their school supplies, new back packs, and lunch boxes, and are getting ready to attend their open houses tomorrow.  Sigh..... My kids are getting big, Corben starts middle school!  Crazy.


Yesterday we went to a work picnic for Tim.... and had a TON of fun.....









Tim was voted to get a pie in the face (a pie tin filled with whipping cream).  It was so much fun, and each of the kids got a pie to throw in his face.... so he got a bunch!



The three youngest had a sleepover (with each other) every single night of the summer.  On nights when it was raining, thundering, and the sky was filled with lightning, we'd find them like this.... in the hall..... outside our bedroom.


I got downgraded to an ankle brace that fits in a tennis shoe, which is much nicer than the big boot, but still annoying.  Since my ankle is just so loose, it's not good to walk around without it, (wearing it with my Sunday shoes, is quite stylish!)  Only for a little longer though, once the surgery is done, I should be able to go without... after the healing, and physical therapy, and other fun things that come with surgery!

The kids are ready for school to start on Monday.  They are all excited to go, make new friends, and have fun learning.  Tayzia especially!  She can't wait.

So that was our summer in a nutshell.  Not much, but definitely memorable!

No comments: