Translate

Plans Change

The plan was that we'd stop at a metro station and buy a special tourist pass that allows you to ride the trains for I think 48 hours, without having to pay each time you get on.  We were going to go to the Checkpoint Charlie museum, Brandenburg Gate, and then possibly head over to the Zoo.  Some of those were walking distance, but the zoo definitely wasn't, so we needed the pass.  It also had a map in it, so we could see where we were going.  Tayzia was telling us in the evening the night before that she had a tummy ache.  She had some digestive issues throughout the night, but nothing too serious.  So when she woke up and didn't want to eat because her tummy hurt, I thought it was the same thing.  I figured we'd be stopping at the bathroom frequently, because Davin had some tummy issues earlier in the week, but it passed quickly.  So we got everyone ready and went on our way.

Everywhere we went, or stopped, Tayzia would sit on the ground holding her tummy.



Checkpoint Charlie is the best known crossing point on the Berlin Wall, from West Berlin to East Berlin. The museum itself delves into the history of the wall, but goes much earlier than that, and covers the effect that the wall had on the people of Germany. It also shows how originally the wall was really just a barbed fence, that would be adjusted by escape attempts.  Eventually an actual wall was formed.  Of course there were still many escape attempts and successes.  The museum has some of the ingenious devices people came up with in order to cross the wall.  Things like hollowed out surfboards, secret compartments in the engines of cars, hot air balloons, suitcases, and other things. They also had a display dedicated to the tunneling that helped many people cross the wall to be reunited with loved ones.

So we made it to the museum, it was about a 10 minute walk, so not too bad.  We paid for our tickets, and went on up.  It was definitely not something for kids that can't read, or aren't interested in history.  The whole museum is covered with plaques and posters on the walls with lots and lots of words, and history, and information.  It just goes and goes and goes.  Tim was very interested, and I think I probably would have been as well, but Davin wasn't and I had to keep him in check.  Tayzia was starting to complain about not feeling well at all and we had to go and find a bathroom for her, and then she would just sit on the floor. Poor girl, she was starting to look really pale, and I was starting to think maybe she should go home for a bit.  We found an area that had a video going and sat down to watch.  Tayzia just layed in my lap when Davin got mad and shoved one of the displays.  Luckily for us, it was hanging from the ceiling on a chain, so it swung back and forth, but didn't do any damage, but that was the point where I gave up.  I wasn't seeing the museum because I was taking care of the sick child, and the misbehaving child, and I'd had enough.  I told Tim I was taking the little ones back, and for them to finish the museum and have a good time.  So off we went back to the hotel, where after a few short moments, Tayzia started throwing up.  So, the plan changed. I hung out at the hotel nursing a sick little girl, and tried my hardest to keep Davin happy with nothing but German cartoons on the TV, and Tim took the kiddos out to enjoy their time in Berlin.

The actual Checkpoint


The plaque tells you that the bricks are where the actual Berlin Wall stood.

Always happy to get some Mickey D's.


Enjoying ice cream cones in front of a strange ball thing they happened upon.


The drivers of the horse carts were nice enough to let an absolutely wonder-struck Rylissa pet and play with their horses, which she did, and loved, very, very, much.

The Brandenburg Gate




The kids didn't know it, but this guy was one of those living statues, and according to Tim, he was really good.


closer....



Oh my goodness, I'm told he scared them good when he finally moved.... Fun times.



Waiting for the train.


This was the first subway ride for both of the kiddos, they thought it was fun.


A snack, to quench their thirst on this hot day.


While looking through the booklet that came with the tourist pass, Tim noticed there was a Natural History Museum, and he called to make sure I'd be okay with them going.  I of course couldn't spoil their fun, so off they went to explore the museum.  I hear that it was the absolute best, and that Rylissa especially was just in love with the place.




This is how yo'd find Rylissa throughout most of the trip.


One of the museum docents came and took this dino apart so the kids could put it back together.  I love things like this in museums, I love when they have areas for kids to touch, and feel.  





As I mentioned, Rylissa was in heaven at this place.  I think that she loved it more than she would have loved going to the zoo.  Of course by the time they got back home, it was close to bed time, Tayzia was feeling much better, and I was ready to go home.  Instead of trying to find a way to stretch the vacation out, we just packed up and headed home first thing in the morning.  Hopefully we'll have a chance to go back some time, and then the little ones can have a chance to enjoy it as well, but I'm glad the big kids (Yes, I include Tim in that statement) had a good time.


No comments: