We had our first Halloween in Germany. I didn't go over the top and decorate like I usually do because I was warned that it would target you as an American. We have gypsy groups that will go through neighborhoods, targeting Americans to steal from (we've been a victim of this twice now). So while we had all our inside Halloween stuff out, our outdoor stuff stayed boxed up.
The kiddos were very excited, and the night before Halloween we were at the church for our trunk or treat. It was an absolutely wonderful time. We had music playing, and tons of people. The kids found their friends and ran off going trunk to trunk getting candy. After about an hour, the candy was running out, and things were winding down. Each kid had an almost full bucket of candy, and we made it home.
On Halloween night we traveled to Vogelweh. We live between Ramstein and Vogelweh, and the kids school is on Vogelweh. It's smaller than Ramstein, and we figured that it would be easier to find parking, and go trick or treating there. We showed up about 45 minutes after the official start time for the base, and were shocked at how many people were there. I have never seen a trick or treat crowd like this. There were people everywhere. It was insane, and most houses were already out of candy. You had to wait in a line, to get to the door to say trick or treat. We let the kids go down one street, and then took them home. There was a little complaint, but once we got home, and comfy, and started watching Halloween shows, and answering our door to the local German kids that were trick or treating, they didn't care so much. All in all it was fun getting dressed up, though next year, on Halloween, I think we'll go around the neighborhood instead.
Happy Halloween!
No comments:
Post a Comment