Translate

Valentines Day

Yeah, I'm behind.

When I was a kid, Valentines day was a big deal. We got to make boxes for our valentines, and have a little party at school. Then, at home, we always had a mystery guest. "Someone" would doorbell ditch us, leaving a box of chocolates, or some other goody for us. So much fun.

After growing up, and getting married, I didn't do much at all for this holiday. I get annoyed with the pressure to buy fancy gifts and expensive flowers and chocolates for each other, when these would probably mean more any other time of year! I do however, miss the fun from when I was a child. So I decided to make Valentines special for the kiddos. It was so much fun. Maybe I went a bit overboard, but you know what, one day in a month, to go overboard, well that's not too much is it? We had a special dinner. I bough special Valentines day only plates, and glasses. I made heart shape ice cubes for said glasses. We had heart shaped french toast, strawberries and syrup. Each kid got a mailbox with a treat inside, a heart Peeps on their plate, and a Valentines day card from us. The kids thought it was super fun!
*can't you tell by their excited expressions????*

Now, what should I do for St. Patricks Day??

4 comments:

MaryAnn said...

My mom used to dye our breakfast green (for St. Patrick's, not Valentines) - milk, eggs, pancakes, all of it green. But I don't know how well that would go over with your kids (or mine). :)

Haiku Amy said...

That is a cool idea actually (dyeing the food green). Anyway my mom usually makes corn beef and cabbage on St. Patricks day. Corn beef isn't really my favorite, so I don't know that I would suggest it, but Irish soda bread perhaps??

Angela Draper said...

Fun! We always just had an all green food day. Lots of food coloring! I do that with my kids and they love it.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful dinner! The kids will remember that when THEY grow up!

I don't know if you remember, but I used to dye the margarine green for St. Patrick's Day. I think I also put green food coloring in the milk.