Translate

Callings

I'm so excited! I've felt a bit obsolete since coming here! After having 3 very demanding callings at one time for almost two years, having nothing to do but sit and listen to lessons is a bit problematic for me! I like to be useful, not to mention busy! So about a month ago I got a calling to be a teacher in the primary. I called the pres to find out what class, and was told she was doing some rearranging, and that she had an idea for me, but until it came through, she wanted me to work in the nursery. Then I got sick, then it was Stake conference, and then I got to start helping. I worked in the nursery for exactly two weeks, when I was called in with the bishop's counselor. He released me from my 'teaching' calling, and called me to be the chorister in primary! I think I jumped up. I'm very happy. I think my most happy calling was chorister. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED all my callings in Oki, but there's something about teaching music to children, teaching church music, that makes me happy. I love preparing for the programs, listening to the kids learn the songs, then seeing their faces when they've learned the song so well, they don't need helping words, pictures, or posters. There's something magical at watching a 3 year old tell you the entire verse to a song, that you would think was too difficult! I can't wait to get started on Sunday. Yesterday I pulled out all my old singing stuff I used in Oki, and updated it, and today, I'm putting it all together. I just listened to some of the songs, and can't wait to get started with those. I love having something to do!

4 comments:

Haiku Amy said...

I guess congratulations are in order. Is that the right sentiment for a church calling?? Anyway, I am glad you got a calling that you enjoy.

Sarahie said...

Yay!! That is my calling here, too! I absolutely love it. You simply can't beat children and music. (Maybe we can exchange ideas!)

Rindy said...

Singing time has always been my favorite thing about Primary. There is something about hearing children sing about Jesus that is so moving. I think it has to do with the innocence and faithfulness of children.

kitty said...

We have the same calling. You know what that means......... we have to share ideas!

Here is one that I did a few weeks ago and the kids loved it. I put sticky note tabs in my scriptures marking scriptures that coordinated with a primary song. i.e. Nephi's courage was tabbed on Nephi 3:7. Anyway, I had about fifteen tabs hanging out of my scriptures. I selected reverent kids to come and pick a tab (one at a time). I would read the scripture and see if the kids could guess which primary song it went with. Then we sang the song. So simple, but they really enjoyed it. (I did this at the end of the month when the kids needed to fill singing time with something other than the song of the month)

Okay.....I look forward to hearing some of your ideas too!