So, we did it. The kids and I successfully made our trip out to Utah. While the trip itself was long, and traveling with children is never easy, I must say it turned out better than I had expected. There was a lot of waiting, and yes there were some meltdowns, but happily, those meltdowns didn't happen in the air! Surprisingly, the kids were AMAZING during the flights, and my sanity level is just as high as it was when I left. So here are some points, good and bad about our trip.
Carolyn. Right there, that's the name of my angel! Our branch president's mother in law had been in Okinawa for a few months visiting, and ended up traveling home on the same hop. I met her while standing in line, and she took it upon herself (much to my relief) to play with my kids while waiting. She took them all over the place, and even bought them some chips during one of the layovers. She helped me get them settled in their seats, and even volunteered to trade seats with me during the flight, so I could sleep. (she was also sitting in the business class area, you know where they get the cocoons and special treatment!) I was so blessed to have that kind of help. Though I never ended up trading seats with her (my kids were so good, I never felt the need) it was a comfort knowing I had that option there. The kids loved her, and Rylissa called her "my new friend". Once at Seattle, we separated. She was on her way to Florida, and we were heading to Utah. I need to find a way to thank her for all her help. It truly was a blessing.
After taking off the first time, Rylissa looks over startled "Mommy my ears don't work!" I showed her how to wiggle her jaw to pop her ears, and after a few minutes she smiled. "Mom, they work again!" (MaryAnn, I think I have TMJ now from all the jaw wiggling to pop my ears!)
Headaches... I have never traveled with a cold before. At least not in the air. I don't know if it's because of the cold, but I'm thinking it was. Just after hitting the highest altitude on our first flight, I started feeling like there was a balloon right between my eyes. It kept getting bigger and bigger, and the pressure was so bad, I couldn't think straight. I'm assuming it was a sinus headache, but I'm not sure. I've never had one. Thankfully they keep non-aspirin (that's what they kept calling it, couldn't they just say Tylenol?) on board, and they gave me some that did eventually work, and it didn't come back.
NWA were stinkers! So here's probably the WORST part of our trip, by far. During our first layover, they switched the personnel on the plane, so it was the actual NWA employees. Right off they chastised me for having our booster seats on the plane. (They aren't FAA approved) Well, it's not my fault that the people back at Kadena put them on, so don't get mad at me. I didn't know. I had to ask one flight attendant twice to get Corben a drink, (it took her soooooo long and he was thirsty. Don't make my kids wait, they're being good, be nice!) Once we landed Corben started to cry, he had to go to the bathroom. Corben is good at holding it, but when he starts crying that he has to go, it means he REALLY has to go. They wouldn't let him go. They said he had to sit there. It was probably another 20 minutes before they finally let him get up. I was sooo mad. All of that, wasn't even the worst. The worst is yet to come. When we landed they announced that some strollers were waiting in the gangway (is that what it's called, just outside of the plane door?) they couldn't tell us whose strollers, so all of us mothers with our kids, travelling by ourselves started lining up outside waiting. 6 people or so got their strollers, and then nothing. So we asked, are there more coming? Yep, they said, there's more coming just wait. 20 minutes goes by, no strollers. We ask again, yeah, they just found more, and are sending them up. We're still waiting. At this point Corben and Rylissa are both having serious meltdowns right there. My Angel Carolyn is holding Rylissa, Corben is on the floor just bawling (he's so tired, we all are) then an NWA flight attendant starts to tell us that we should know, that our strollers won't be up here, because we checked them. The other ladies got there's because they walked them to the plane. We then told her that EVERYONE checked their strollers. We had no choice, no one took their strollers to the plane. She didn't understand, and couldn't comprehend what we were saying. There were probably ten mothers still sitting there waiting, when security came and kicked us out saying we couldn't just stand there. I was lucky I had help, but these other ladies couldn't carry all their things, and their children without help from their strollers. So we asked them to send us wheelchairs, or those driving carts to help us get to baggage claim, and they said no. They made all these poor mothers drag all their stuff by themselves. It was soooo difficult, and I was really mad. We get to baggage claim, and find out all our strollers are waiting for us, at the door of the aircraft. Where they kicked us out. So we had to wait even longer for our things. NWA does not get my satisfaction. I know a lot of people will be complaining.
Now we are here, at my parents house slowly working out our jet lag. Sleeping is on and off, but we're having fun. My parents are so happy to see the kids, and Tim's parents will hopefully be seeing them soon (apparently the flu is on the rampage there, so we may not get to see them as soon as we'd like) I already made our first trip to the mall, where Rylissa got new tap shoes, and the girls got new pants. I'm not sure what's on the docket for today, but whatever we do, I'm sure it will be fun!
1 comment:
I'm glad you made it! Sorry it was such a pain. We're going to miss you. I hope you have tons of fun
luvs
Kara
Post a Comment